Monday 2 September 2013

ONBOARD ANOTHER BAVARIA


LATI HEADS OUT OF MESSOLONGHI

AUSSIE SPEED MACHINES, DRAGGING ANCHORS

AND WEARING THE BAGGY GREEN


30TH AUGUST 2013
TIP! I've just discovered if you click on the images they open in a another bigger slideshow thing.

The 30 nautical miles from Messolonghi to Trizonia started with nary a puff of wind. By the time we were just past the Rion bridge we had a good 20 knots directly behind us. Lati and Annecam both sailed wing on wing and made 8 – 9 knots and above. It was a hoot.

Anne was very impressed with the size and stability of Campbell's 46ft boat Annecam. Seas were maybe a metre and I pointed out to Anne that the gusts were up to 30 knots. It was a following sea and we were very steady. That girl is getting her sea spirit!

All was very well as we anchored in the bay outside Trizonia marina. Louise and Caterina from 'Jenna' who are friends of Annette and Campbell that Anne and I met in Messolonghi came over in their dinghy for a visit while Ron was ashore for a walk. It wasn't long after we cracked the first beer that Linda sang out that Louise's boat was dragging it's anchor and closing on 'Annecam'. 'Jenna' had been happily anchored there for 20 hours and only moved as the breeze stiffened over the bay. The second dragging anchor emergency of the trip.

Louise didn't have to emulate Campbell's olympic rowing effort to get back to her boat. Outboard motors are so much easier. She flashed across as quick as she could while we watched her beautiful boat moving towards the lee shore quite unrestrained in the breeze.

'Annecam' had just arrived and we didn't have a dinghy in the water. I decided the quickest way to get there to help was strip off and swim over. I dropped my shorts but wavered on the underpants. I have seen a lot of nudists in Croatia but none in Greece. Underpants were voted 'on' and I stepped over the lifeline to dive in. Just as I was about to spring off and my balance was at the point of no return, Anne called out “sunglasses” which I managed to take off and hold in my hand as I dived in and hoped my underpants didn't end up round my ankles. Sunnies and undies stayed put and I swam across.

Louise gave me the wheel and then, cool as a cucumber, worked out the drama getting the snubber 'unsnubbed' while Bill arrived by high speed rowing dinghy and went forward to lend a hand. Louise soon had it under control while I paused to consider that here I was parading around on someone else's boat in Greece in my baggy wet bonds briefs with the green band. Bill has previously had the title of 'Captain Underpants' but I had suddenly shot to the front as a red hot contender for the title.


OUT OF THE CHANNEL

STILTED VIEWS
ANNE ON ANNECAM
LATI HEADS OUT

CAMPBELL, ANNIE AND LATI
LATI SQUEEZES UNDER THE RION BRIDGE
ANNECAM'S CLASSY HEADSAIL
LATI WING ON WING
LATI ARRIVES TRIZONIA
THE BAGGY GREEN TO THE RESCUE
RON BACK ON BOARD SEARCHING FOR AN ANCHORAGE
CAPTAIN UNDERPANTS RETURNS

No comments:

Post a Comment